Sunday, May 1, 2016

Fungi Adventures by Kateka Seth

On April 18th, the Bio 213 class did something a little different from the norm. We went on a field trip!! I can't speak for everyone, but I haven't heard the word 'field trip' since... well, a long time. Needless to say, I was super excited for the event. The class went to Pine Ridge Park, only a couple minutes' car ride from the school. Yet, I still managed to get lost. Not only did I get lost, but I also lost my phone that day (I've since found it), and ended up without a camera of my own. That being said, all the pictures I'm using in this post today were taken by my amazing group mates who are kind enough to let me use them.

Korena, field trip guide.
The field trip was led by the lovely lady to the left. She talked about fungi with a lot of enthusiasm, which made the experience even better. 










Lichen and Moss

Lichen
Moss
At the start, Korena pointed out lichen that grew on trees. She explained that lichen is actually considered its own class of organism, called an epiphyte, and not just fungi. Lichen is formed by a relationship between a fungi and algae, or cyanobacteria. She also explained the differences between the lichen and moss, both physical and otherwise. After having Korena point out the differences, it wasn't too hard to tell apart lichen from moss. In the two pictures above it is clear than they have very distinct characteristics. 


Polypores

Polypores <3
These guys were definitely my favorite thing to look at. They fill the job of being decomposers while looking on point! Being a polypore means that they have tubes instead of gills to disperse their spores. Polypores are especially good at decomposing lignin and cellulose which wood is mainly composed of. It's because of this ability that we see them growing a lot on dead longs like the one above.

Amanita

We also got to take a look at a mushroom in the Amanita genus. Amanita begins in the phylum Basidiomycetes. Korena mentioned that the Amanita genus is host to the two very dangerous mushrooms, the death cap and death angel. So scary are they that death is in their names. Some characteristics of amanitas are presence of gills and spots on their cap as seen below.


They may look cute and harmless, but Korena suggests that we should never eat anything in the amanita genus.

This is the underside of a more mature version of the previously shown mushroom. This picture shows the gills that contain spores of the mushroom. You could see the spores falling out if you ran your hands across the gills. 








On fun fact that Korena mentioned about this genus is that it hosts a mushroom called Amanita muscaria, or better known as 'that mushroom from Mario!'

Trees

This field trip was mainly about fungi, but you can't talk about fungi without talking about trees. Korena talked a lot about mycorrhizal relationships between fungi and trees. Trees will make make these relationships with fungi only when they have enough resources for themselves. One fungi can potentially have a mycelium network that connects to basically every tree in the forest. Although trees can be miles apart, underground, they may be connected. I found this fact very amazing.

Korena also talked a bit about the growth of trees. I always knew that trees grow around obstacles they encountered, but Korean pointed out that this happens with branches too.


For example, in this picture notice how there are no large branch growth where I circled in red. This part of the tree is shaded by surrounding trees and is not exposed to as much light as the other side. To save itself energy, the tree simply does not grow branches on that side. I had never noticed this before when I looked at trees. I thought this fact served as an interesting transition into our current topic in class: plant development.











The field trip was a great experience and pointed out things that I had never noticed before when walking through a forest area. It's great to be able to put a name to plants and organisms that I've always walked past. To be sure, I will now become that friend who points out and names (or try to anyways) random mushrooms on a hike, especially those amazing polypores!

1 comment:

  1. It's pretty cool to read your post Teka <3 The thing I jealous with you is the photo of baby amanita, I can't take that picture. By the way, your info is pretty fulfill, which I think that if other person who has never go to the field trip can imagine what's going on. I very enjoy reading it :)

    ReplyDelete