Monday, April 18, 2016

Mystery TSA Plates

Hi Everyone,

Bacteria is something that exists and is found in our daily life but we can't actually see it by our eyes, but we always can see it under a microscope. So, in order to be able to see Bacteria, we should leave it to grow under certain conditions and to have some different types of colonies.
In this experiment, I decided to choose my phone and my pencil, since I use those two objects the most in my daily life. At first, I hypothesized that my phone would have more colonies that my pencil, because I use it more frequently.


Day 0

The TSA plates were clean before having any swab on them

We prepared the TSA and got it ready to have some swabs in there. After that I took a swab from my phone first, then from my pencil and I stored one of the plates at the room temperature (24°C) , and the other one at 37°C which is the body temperature.

Day 2

After 2 days, one plate has growth and the other plate is clear

After two days, I found that one of the plates (room temperature 24°C)  was still clean and had no growth , but in the other plate (body temperature 37°C ) there was slightly growth and as it shown in the picture, my phone has more colonies that my pencil does.
Day 7
more colonies were more expanded in both plates  

After storing the plates for 7 days at 37°C and at 24°C, More colonies were widened in both plates, but still more growth on the 37°C plate and especially on the phone. I also realized that a new pink colonies appeared on the phone part at the room temperature which made me wonder what kind of bacteria is that?
So, after searching on this website http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/MicroBio_Interpreting_Plates.shtml I found out that my samples have some different types of colonies; such as pink yeast colonies (room temperature plate), Bacillus subtilis (37°C plate), and Staphylococcus aures (room temperature plate).

Overall, I couldn't believe that I saw different real types of bacteria in my things that I daily use and how the change of the temperature can develop different types of colonies and different quantities.
One more thing that caught my eyes when I first looked the plates after 7 days of storing is that on my room temperature plate had two pink colonies which means that I have a unique type of bacteria. That actually made me very surprised and made me wonder how a person can develop different kinds of bacteria than the others. It's actually a good thing to be different and more unique. Lastly, after observing my plates and my other classmates' plates, I'd say that Bacteria is so abundant and has many different types and shape and each one of us develop different kinds of bacteria than each other and that's very interesting.  

  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mariam! I really enjoyed your post. I think you made a great point about how every person harbors different types of bacteria. It's interesting why that is--do you think it has to do with people's immune systems, their environments, or something else? Variance and uniqueness when it comes to bacteria is also important. I wonder how big of an impact bacterial differences have on our health. Great job!

    ReplyDelete